Quantcast

Paper Towns


Like Melissa, I got sad Margo from the library. Schucks. The book was released with two different covers -- according to author John Green they are both mis-imaginings of Margo.

I couldn't put this book down. Once I started reading it I had to keep going. See, I didn't realize it was a mystery novel, and I am such a sucker for those. So. It was suspenseful. It was also quite funny -- Jacob commented about my explosive laughter (Radar had just gotten a new t-shirt, okay?!). And it made me think.

That said, John Green is about the limit for me. I couldn't handle much more swearing (there was a moderate amount) or crudity (several jokes, a situation) in a book before I would get fed up. Reader discretion advised -- if it were a movie it would be PG-13.

I've been listening to John and other Nerdfighters talk about the book for a while, so I was glad I enjoyed it. To John, it's all about the way we imagine others and trying to imagine others with complexity rather than as the two-dimensional (paper!) people we create in our minds. I like that. For me, it was also about goodbyes. Goodbyes to old places, friends, parts of our lives.

So it was kind of a nail-biter that made me wistful and thoughtful and caused me to cringe occasionally and laugh out loud. A complex book.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Radar's shirt killed me. Actually, the whole road trip killed me. Glad you liked this one. :)

    Oh, and congrats on getting a review linked on the Cybil's site. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The T-shirt scene was hilarious. That had me laughing out loud. I liked this book a lot too. It didn't turn out the way I expected it to.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...